"We don't become southern, we're born that way."

Friday, October 5, 2012

Homemade Croutons Recipe



I have been trying to get my croutons to be nice and crispy for several months now. And FINALLY I figured it out. The secret is to dehydrate them. Seriously!! Here is how I do it.
Cut 1 loaf of homemade bread into cubes of desired size (they don’t shrink)
Take the cubes and lay them out on your dehydrator trays. Dehydrate for a couple of hours on a medium setting- I use 135. Check them- they should be light and almost weightless.
Now, you can either go ahead and cook them all or you can freeze half and cook half. Arrange the cubes on a pan/stone and sprinkle them with seasonings of choice. And then melt some butter and brush it over them. I find that butter gives a much better flavor than olive oil. Put them into the oven on 400. Stir them around a lot and keep a pretty much constant eye on them until they are nice and crispy. Pull them out, taste them to see if you need to add any more seasoning. Do it now while they are still hot and the extra seasoning will stick. These are SO GOOD. By the way, the premade croutons freeze will too. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment