Here is my own original recipe. Makes a ton, you may want/need to cut in half or freeze. It does freeze well.
Prep- soak beans and rice the night before. (Of course you could go ahead and cut up your cabbage and cook your sausage if you have the energy or motivation or need to.)
1 lb. of sausage
2 jalapenos- finely diced (this is quite spicy, you may only need one if your family isn't big spice lovers)
1 head of cabbage
1 1/2 C. dry black eye peas
2 29 oz. cans of petite diced tomatoes
1 C. of brown rice
1. Soak beans and rice.
2. Cook sausage with the jalapenos. Rinse and drain.
3.While sausage cooks chop up your cabbage.
4. Open the tomatoes (do NOT drain) and pour into a full size crock-pot, add beans, (drained) add cabbage, salt and pepper, and finally the sausage. Cook all day on low or half a day on high. (will update with exact times)
5. Stir periodically to ensure even cooking of the cabbage.
6. Cook the rice sometime before you are ready to serve. Add to crock-pot. I like to add it in about 30 minutes before serving.
7. Optional, cook up some fresh southern cornbread, muffins, or cakes to serve alongside. Yum! (Don't forget the butter :) Enjoy. Also, some shredded cheddar is delicious sprinkled over each serving.